Black Bean Quesidillas
Quesidillas are a favourite in our house. The kids love them (“it’s like eating pizza”) and I love them because the black beans great source of phytoestrogens and fibre which can be beneficial to our hormonal health.
And bonus, they are quick and easy to make and they taste FANTASTIC!!
1 small tin of sweetcorn
1 x 400g tin of black beans
1 fresh red chilli
20 cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon of oil
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Juice of 1 lime
½ a teaspoon of salt
A bunch of fresh coriander
1 ripe avocado
200g grated cheddar cheese
4 wholemeal tortillas/flatbreads (I used organic Piadina from Dunnes Stores)
- Drain the sweetcorn and black beans separately, and rinse thoroughly. Chop the chilli finely removing the seeds if you want it less spicy. Chop the cherry tomatoes into quarters.
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil on to a griddle or into a frying pan on a high heat. Add the sweetcorn and cook until it starts to char slightly (3-4 minutes).
- Next add the black beans, chilli, cumin, coriander, lime juice, cherry tomatoes and the salt and cook for a further 3 minutes. While cooking use the back of a wooden spoon to mash the beans so that they break up – they will hold the salsa together.
- Chop the fresh coriander roughly and stir it into the pan. Remove the salsa from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Cut the avocado in half and slice lengthways while still in the skin. Using a spoon, remove the slices from the skin into another small bowl. Grate the cheese into another bowl. Give the pan a quick wash or get a different pan.
- Put the dry pan back on a high heat and put in a tortilla/flatbread. Add a generous handful of grated cheese on one side and spread it around half the tortilla. Add a serving of the salsa, a few slices of avocado and finish with another handful of cheese.
- Once the tortilla or wrap starts to brown, fold it in half so it becomes half a circle. Wait until the cheese starts to melt and stick it together.
- Remove from the heat and slice in two. Repeat with all of the tortilla wraps. Eat while hot!